This month, Michigan was warned of several impending layoffs. The Kmart in St. Clair Shores announced it would be closing and eliminating 127 jobs. Home Rehabilitation Services of Michigan confirmed it would be closing one of its facilities and eliminating 113 jobs. The latest is Southwest Solutions. The company submitted a WARN notice with the State of Michigan on October 30, 2017.
According to the WARN notice, Southwest Counseling Solutions Inc. will no longer be providing head start programs effective upon the close of business on December 31, 2017. The company anticipates that 122 employees will experience a permanent job loss on that date. While the employees are based out of the offices located at 7060 McGraw and 5716 Michigan Avenue, they work at several sites throughout the City of Detroit.
- All Saints at 8300 Longsworth
- Central High School at 2425 Tuxedo
- Earhart Elementary-Middle School at 1000 Scotten
- Escuela Avancemos at 3811 Cicotte
- George Crockett Academy at 4851 Fourteenth Street
- Mark Train Elementary-Middle School at 12800 Visger
- New Paradigm College Prep at 2450 Beatrice
- Phoenix Academy at 7735 Lane
- Salvation Army at 3737 Humboldt
- St. Anne’s at 1000 St. Ann
- Voyageur Academy at 4321 Military
Some of the impacted employees are represented by the Local 1640 AFSCME Council 25 Union. The company believes that other Head Start providers may be willing to extend job offers to the impacted employees. The full WARN notification can be found here.